Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The second step is finding a greater power to gives strength...

For me the next step in my process is heavily reliant on others.

I have lamented in the past about how I just don't have the network of supportive people in Colorado that I was blessed by in Omaha. It takes a while to develop community but I've had a particularly difficult time here. My community is transient, with ski and bike bums coming and going all year. People move here for a while but it's not often you find someone who's from here.
I spend a LOT of time missing my athletic friends and RCs in Omaha.

Then, last week I met with a colleague. We work together indirectly, had spoken on the phone several times but had never met. In arranging a conference call, she asked if she could come to my office and sit in on the call together. Our call went from about 3:15-4:00. By 5:00, we were still talking. She is a Real Chick to be sure and a chick with an incredible story. After a while in the conversation, she asked if I was a runner. Without thinking, I responded "yes." Almost immediately, I realized that I am a runner...in my mind. I used to be a runner. Out here, I've run a handful of times, mostly to make sure I still can. With my eager response to running, she asked if I'd like to join her in a trail run this week. Still feeling too big for my britches I again responded "yes."

What have I gotten myself into. I immediately make the "oh crap" call to my boyfriend who lovingly reminded me that this is exactly what I had been asking, nay praying for. Someone to keep my physically accountable to my goals. This is something I've been needing for so long! Dang...busted!

So by the time you read this, RC Paula and I will have gone running. She and I are of a similar spiritual mindset and neither of us see it as a mistake that we met. It was truly one of those moments where you can tell a great friend in a 5 minute conversation. I see this as a direct answer to a prayer! I took a step in admitting my problem, actually started to find way to remedy it and almost immediately, I have been given a friend for support. She had already become one of the most encouraging people I have met here.

And if you never hear from me again...check the trails around the Y.
I may have fallen and can't get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment