Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wilderness First Responder


Many of you have been subjected to the endless taunting of the 10 Essentials. I talk about them a lot, for good reason. If you're confused or need a refresher, look HERE. While I feel it is critically important to carry these small items and that they can make a life or death difference, there comes a time in the life of every outdoor renegade to take it a step further.

On the second Real Chicks Hike EVER, the small group of us contained a woman in her late 70s. When you're hiking that close to town, it's easy to forget what the term "backcountry" means in an emergency. While hiking out at Hitchcock (an easy-moderate hike), this otherwise fit, peppy 70-something began to complain of chest pain. I kept my cool on the outside but my mind was chanting an ohcrapohcrapohcrap mantra. Here I was, responsible for this party of hikers and not a clue what to do.

Shortly after this event, I decided I had better educate myself. No one wants disaster but sometimes disasters find you. I enrolled in Outdoor Emergency Care through the Outdoor Venture Center at UNO, a semester long course covering all topics of...well, outdoor emergency care. While in the class, I heard of another similar course called Wilderness First Responder and directly asked the instructor if there was a difference between the two courses. I was told no.

Well, let this be a lesson to you..and me, because now that I have been through both courses, I can tell you there is a HUGE difference. I know this because a year after my UNO class and still not satisfied with my knowledge, I enrolled in the 9-day intensive Wilderness First Response training through the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) and the Wilderness Medicine Institute. 2 years ago, I sucked up all of my extra vacation time to become a WFR (woofer, as we're called) and it has completely changed my outlook on wilderness medicine.

(to note- I think OEC has it's place but it is a course designed for ski patrol and while my instructor was more than adept on trail, the course is designed to build on on-mountain ski training. Not interested in being on ski patrol, I didn't learn much as I never went on to the ski season trial-by-fire)

So, what is wilderness medicine? How far from help do you have to be to be in the "backcountry?" 30 minutes! If you are ever 30 minutes or more from definitive health care, you need to know how to take care of yourself in an emergency. It doesn't take much to break a bone or be dealing with someone with chest pain, like I was. From that trail at Hitchcock, we were more than 30 minutes from care, and were therefore in the backcountry. Puts a new spin on hiking around Omaha, eh?

The WFR course is somewhat pricey and long, but well worth it. Once you are certified, you have to re-cert every 3 years (the 3rd year being your "grace year," meaning your certification doesn't expire but you also can't practice) over a weekend. Classes are held all over the country. If you can't afford the time or money for 9 days, try the Wilderness First Aid course (WFA- woofa) that NOLS/WMI offer over long weekends. The Wilderness Medicine Associates (WMA) offers a similar certification.

I guess what I aim to stress is that YOU are responsible for your health and well-being outside. Whether you go through basic first aid/CPR, take the OEC course or aim for WFR, it is important that someone in your group be trained for emergencies. And being trained isn't always enough...pack your first aid kit, with enough materials to cover multiple ailments for multiple people for as many days as you'll be out. If you take a guided trip, make sure your guides are reputable and trained in wilderness medicine. It's amazing how many people can just start a guide service now.

I have now been a wilderness First Responder since May of 2009 and have since joined the Wilderness Medical Society to continue my education. If you want more information, leave a comment and I'll connect with more about my experiences in Wilderness Medicine. I will try to share more tips here as well.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you Jessie! Some of us Omaha RC should look into that-you can never have enough people with good training on a trip! Maybe we should venture your way to take at least the weekend first aid!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete