Thursday, December 23, 2010

Exploring North Carolina

 I've been in North Carolina for the past 5 days, enjoying my bf's amazing family and friends...and doing a little exploration. His family owns 113 acres of woods, creeks and "kissing trees" in Eden, NC and, having never been to that area before, I took to the hills on several occasions to wander through the leaf-laden forest floor.
 In the rural south, one can find all sorts of treasure out in the woods...both wanted and unwanted. The homes around Eden are incorporated into the landscape in a way I hadn't seen before, which means that old tobacco barns and chimneys appear out of nowhere along trails. Unfortunately, so does a lot of illegal dumping.
  All of the pictures to follow were taken on the family land. I was able to collect a few interesting old glass bottles from the rubble I passed, although (as an avid fan of American Pickers) I didn't come across any priceless antiques. Dang! It was amazing to see the land taking over all of the discarded rubbish along the way. The bottles growing ferns inside, old shoes being devoured by moss and mold, young old trees overtaking an old hunting road.








 A great reminder that sometimes, the best adventures are right in your backyard.

2 comments:

  1. What a great find. That cabin has a lot of stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see how that's a natural backdrop for hardy Marty.

    ReplyDelete