Sunday, March 27, 2011

For My Somewhat Visually Impaired Sisters

It happened in 5th grade. I found out I needed glasses. My first pair was hot pink and encircled half of my entire head. At the time, I thought myself cooler for having them. I was convinced that they were responsible for the friends I was making at a new school that year. I must have been delusional. I've been wearing my googlies ever since.

Those of us who were born with less than perfect vision know the struggle. Keeping them clean and in good repair is hard. Keeping up on exams is harder. Contact lenses seemed like a good idea for a while but my eyes are sensitive and my eyes would become bloodshot when I attempted to wear them (meaning I only suffer in them through special occasions). My glasses have been through a lot over the years...and I've had to deal with them through moves, finance crunches, weddings, fogging up during cold snaps (can I get an AMEN?!) and outdoor adventures.







  It's finally time to turn them in. As of next Thursday, I will be glasses free for the first time in 18 years!! (fingers crossed that there are no last-minute hold ups) That's right, I'm taking the Lasik leap. While I'm slightly terrified of having any sort of laser mess with one of my five senses, I am equally excited to be able to spend time outside without having to clean contacts with dirty hands. I won't have to worry about my prescription being expired and the nearest (in network) optometrist an hour away. I can fend off a bear in the middle of the night without first having to remember where I put my specs in the tent. It's one less little bottle of solution to try to fly with. I can buy any pair of sunglasses I want! In the words of Willaim Wallace, who fought for only a slightly more noble cause, FREEEEDOOOOMM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment