Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hiking Tip: Wear Chacos With Caution



Monarch Lake is a special place for my mutt and I. It was the first place we got our hiking legs under us after we moved to Colorado last September. There's a vast network of trails in the area, all of which amaze!
While new to the area and tentative, we stuck to the 4-mile, relatively flat loop through the forest, around the lake. It didn't take long, however, for us to venture in further. We were wooed by the Cascade Falls trail marker. I mean, when are we not, as outdoors-women, completely in awe of waterfalls? Cascade Falls was to be my first in Colorado.


Note: This is Cascade Falls in September of last year. Spring pictures, which are far more impressive, to follow.

This 9 mile out and back is now one of my favorite hikes in the area. The trails are well marked and easy to follow. Several miles of uphill make for a good workout, while allowing a reprieve on the way back. It's easy to feel secluded but not isolated here. I also love that there is water a-plenty! No need to pack water for B as he can play in/drink from the many streams, waterfalls and lakes in the area.

This week, I attempted to do this hike in my Chaco sandals. I love them for the ventilation but when you mix water play with most footwear, it adds to blisters! I didn't notice them until I got home but if I had been out much longer, it could have been a bad situation.

A few trail downfalls:
Horses are allowed to use this trail. While I've noticed "it" more in the fall, WATCH YOUR STEP!
The 4 mile loop is GREAT for families. This can make it crowded during the summer

No comments:

Post a Comment