Monday, April 21, 2014

Not Another Mom Blog!


 

  That's right, folks. In the year + since I last posted, I became a mother. Our daughter, Adelaide (Addy) graced us with her presence 12/9/13, smack in the middle months of Colorado winter (our winters run October-April). This meant my maternity leave ran for most of those snowy, cold months. While I had dreams of being the first mother in the world (not) to acquaint her child with the outdoors immediately, I was quickly humbled by sleep deprivation, continuous feedings, and overwhelming fear of flu season. We spent almost all twelve weeks huddled and snuggling indoors, save for the occasional walk when the weather allowed. While disappointed that I wasn't more active, we had a great first few months together.
  As Addy got a little older, my husband and I started dreaming up adventures for our family. We were finally rested and reasonable enough to start planning, recognizing that the mountaineering and multi-day back-country trips were behind us for a while. The more I planned, the more I recognized that there were few resources out there for a mom looking to take a breastfeeding, crib-sleeping little one into the great outdoors. There are plenty of articles and blogs about taking kids outside but I kept finding myself asking, "what about the babies?!"
 So, moving forward, I'm going to try to be that resource. As we try new gear and plan adventures, I am going to try and post how they worked for our family. We will fail miserably for your amusement and try again. I will try to intersperse some adult posts to keep it interesting for the childless in the blogosphere. This real chick now has a real chicklet and I hope she grows to be a passionate outdoors-woman. By blogging about our misadventures, I hope others will be inspired to take their kids outside too.

No comments:

Post a Comment