Wednesday, November 23, 2011

For Work or Pleasure?



  Many of my travels over the past month and a half have been job related. About 4-5 times per year, I am asked to hit the road to drum up business and visit customers we already have relationships with. Personally, I find the travel to be a pretty fun way to break up the year. Particularly as most days, I am confined to my office, click-clacking on the computer and talking to people on the phone. I am always thankful for my job but it is far less relational that I'd like. It's hard to really connect with someone over the phone. When I travel, I get to look people in the eye and connect.
  Last weekend was one of those work trips. I flew up to Minneapolis, MN to attend the Midwest Mountaineering (that's a gear shop) Outdoor Adventure Expo. They hold this show in the Spring and Fall and it brings in all sorts of vendors and customers. The store puts everything on sale for these few days (even Smartwool!) and coordinates speakers, clinics etc for those who attend. In addition, this specific event was timed to coincide with the Banff Mountain Film Festival, showing nearby at the U of MN.
  It was bittersweet to watch all of these cool, outdoor folk scurry around the store. On one hand, I do not miss the insanity that comes with working retail during that type of event. On the other, I do genuinely miss the excitement that comes when you outfit someone in the perfect coat and somehow empower them to achieve their goal, whatever it may be. The gear world is a funny thing. Technology changes so quickly and in a matter of days, you can get behind in your gear knowledge. There were new brands that I'd never heard of that seemed to have quite a dedicated following. There were old standby brands that had reinvented themselves. There were new words to label what this shell did or that pant repelled.
  While I won't ever pretend to know all there is to know about gear, it was so fun to watch the customers of Midwest Mountaineering make their decisions. I eavesdropped on several customer/sales staff conversations and even had the chance to advise a friend of mine on her new purchases. It was as if I was remembering a part of myself that doesn't get much attention anymore. It was nice to know what I had retained after 2+ years out of outdoor retail. It was also fun to learn a few new things.
   I'm sure there are several of you out there wondering why this event would possibly have been so meaningful but I firmly believe that the years I spent in Outdoor Retail transformed me. I feel they were a few years that I was close to being the best version of myself to date. The relationships that developed within those four walls...and a few trails...are still some of my most cherished. I had the honor of assisting men and women from all walks and abilities in achieving their dreams, through the simple acts of listening and helping them choose a backpack.
  If you're ever in Minnesota, take a few minutes to check out Midwest Mountaineering. You know my heart is loyal to one Omaha shop (coughcoughBackwoodscough) but this is another great independent operation that deserves a look. I am thankful that I had the chance to find a little pleasure there...while at work.

1 comment:

  1. I've driven past this store a gazillion times but never once thought of stopping in. Will have to do that now. :)

    Happy Thanksgiving, Jessie! Also, thanks for your recent comment on my blog about babysitters! Great info and point of view to share and I agree, could be a good teachable experience. If she weren't 21, I would have been a little more willing to work with her BUT we've moved on. But it's good info to keep in mind as we have neighbor girls and family friends help out that are learning.

    ReplyDelete