Thursday, July 28, 2011

Once Again, I Am Humbled

  There must be a cosmic message trying to get through to me because I am being slammed by inspiring women left and right. I know that I am supposed to be continuing on training hikes and I swear, there's more of that coming but I need to share this.




 I received an email from a woman who found me through google (and hope she doesn't mind my sharing this). In short, she wants to hike but questions whether she is fit enough to start and is a bit intimidated by the fact that she's never hiked before. I am so impressed with her for reaching out with her questions and concerns. And to a complete stranger. Way to go, M!

 Pile this on top of what my mom wrote a few days ago and I am just completely in awe of these women who take the proverbial bull by the horns. They are adventurous and open-minded and not afraid to seek support in being who they want to be. We all need it. We should all work to provide it for others.

 This is a great reminder to reach out. There are women who would love nothing more than to find a community of supportive women to include them. In fact, we were ALL that woman at some point. I have heard many of you lament about the competitive nature of women you know in work, through your children's school, in sports etc. You have then remarked at what a wonderful community of women you have found in the Real Chicks. A group that supports one another no matter what. Solidarity, as MJ put it. But we all started with a blip of inspiration, a friend who took the time to invite us along. We were presented with an opportunity and jumped on it. We are now all reaping the benefit.

 I would challenge you to reach out in the month of August. Find a female friend, co-worker or stranger and invite her to be part of what the Real Chicks has to offer. Our message stops if we don't include new women. We our the best friends, mentors, support and teachers for one another when it comes to the outdoors. We learn more about nature and ourselves when we teach it to another. Help another woman dream big...plan an adventure. She may have never received that gift before. We need to be there to convince women, like M, that they are every bit as welcome in the outdoors, with no experience, as those of us who discovered the lifestyle years ago.

 And for you Omaha ladies, I challenge you to bring a new friend to the chicks hike in August. It's a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment