Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Alchemist Is For (outdoor) Lovers

 For those of you who haven't taken a few hours to read a book lately, check out The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. It has been recommended to me several times over the years but it wasn't until RC Sara (who you will be hearing from in the next week or so) happened to mention it as the book that has been the most meaningful in her life, that my ears perked up enough to buy the book later that night.
 The story is billed as"a fable about following your dreams". It follows a Spanish shepherd through the process of figuring out how to become what he has always wanted to be, seek his "treasure" and overcome obstacles while receiving counsel along the way.

So, What does this have to do with hiking or Real Chicks?

 It has more to do with the RC philosophy than you might think. I have often heard you adventurous women describing how the thing that sets you apart from other women who aspire to be outdoorsy, is that you will actually go out and do it. This is the lesson The Alchemist reveals. In all realms of life, we make choices, we choose our own paths. Our protagonist learns that if you follow your dreams, all forces will conspire to help you achieve it.

 In reading this, I thought a lot about my journey to Kilimanjaro in 2006. I was just a broke nanny, looking for some adventure. I set my mind to doing it and I really did feel like the whole world conspired to make it happen. There were days when I didn't know how I was going to pay for my trek...and I would get a call to babysit later that night. There were times when my gear list overwhelmed me...and a family member would step in with a new Thermarest or hiking boots. I would weep to friends, unsure how I would make this trip work, and they would chime in with nothing but encouragement and love. When I shared my vision with others, they went out of their way to see that I accomplished my goal. I worked hard, sure. I believe that God (or the entity of your choice) helps those who help themselves and I was just as willing to step up and do what I needed to do. I worked a LOT of extra hours but when you are seeking opportunity for such things, they have a way of appearing (weird!).
  Anyone who knows me will know that my Kilimanjaro trip was by far the most life-shaping journey that I have taken to date. My life took a 180 degree turn after that trip. It was part of what Coehlo describes in this book as my "Personal Legend," which is still evolving.
 So our man, Santiago is a traveler, a man of the outdoors with an adventurous, industrious spirit. He is also a little bit me and a little bit you. I'm sure anyone, particularly with the mindset of personal growth, can relate to him and his seemingly unattainable goal. We all know about obstacles that force us to work harder to achieve the things we want in life. We all know about the people who come out of the woodwork to lift up and honor our dreams, sometimes more than we do ourselves.
I really feel this is a story about all of us and highly recommend it! It's a quick and worthwhile read (I finished in 3 hours while on a plane). It will encourage you to remember the dreams you have and to examine the importance they have in your life's journey.

2 comments:

  1. My comment doesn't relate at all to the above...sorry! :)

    But #1 I love your long hair Jessie! WOW! So pretty!

    #2 I love this real chick thing :) I added you to my reader a couple weeks ago.

    #3 Thanks for reading and commenting over on my blog. I love your thoughts/comments, so THANK YOU!

    Happy new year!!

    (PS Someone recently gave me a recipe from a blog dunkley or something and I think you are friends with the girl who writes it? Either that or there is another girl who looks JUST like you :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. dunkley is my best friend. :) she's in omaha. thanks, samara. glad you're reading and i very much enjoy reading yours

    ReplyDelete