Friday, September 17, 2010

Gear Review: Balck Diamond Apollo Lantern


Add this to your birthday/Christmas lists, ladies


I know I'm not reviewing the absolute NEWEST gear out there but I'm reviewing what I'm using. Let's face it, we don't all buy new gear every year just because it's new. Those items that are tried and true are what we want to know about. It's like fashion...there are those who want and need to know the latest trend, like banana clips and layered socks and those of that know that a good pair of jeans will never go out of style (okay, unless it's tapered).


So, let me bring you back to a long long time ago, to the year 2002! It was this year that Black Diamond introduced a lantern, called the Apollo...a little larger than a can of green beans and weighing in at only about 10oz (with batteries).


A few weeks ago, I dug this out of my gear closet to take on an impromptu camping excursion. I am realizing that EVERY time I pull this little guy out of the closet, I remember just how much I love it. Here's why:


* it's light.

-not ultralight, just light

* it's bright

-2 settings, bright or dim.

* it's rechargeable

- making my eco-minded self happy rechargeable batteries sold separately

* it's got legs!

-the aluminum legs bring the light to a usable level and it's stable on a table

* it's got a hangy-thingy

-allowing the light to hang in a tent or from a tree branch, perfect for night time card playing

and yes, ladies, that is an official term for gear..."hangy-thingy"

* it's durable

-I never have to worry about it breaking or banging up against other gear in my pack. it'll be fine!

* long lasting

- i don't have to worry about packing extra batteries every time I go out. On the low setting, the life of the batteries can reach 60 hours! that's an EXPEDITION!


Want to know specifics and specs? Well, I have no doubt that you smart people know how to google all of that biz. I just wanted to tell you why I love this item and why I plan to use it at every opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment