Monday, June 28, 2010

Hollie's Two Cents (one for each of her 'lil Chicks)

What does it mean to be a Real Chick?!?!



SO many thoughts come to mind!!! When I worked as substance abuse counselor with adolescents I was struck by so many young girls with no self esteem, unhealthy relationships, and of course the chemical abuse issues. So many of them were ready to give up on life because of a break up, a fight, or a bit of mean gossip in the high school hall. I Really think of this when I think of Real Chicks, specifically how much I longed to show those girls that THE WORLD IS BIGGER THAN THE GOSSIP IN THE HIGH SCHOOL HALL. (Or for us older girls the check-out line at HyVee {or Whole Foods-lol}, the laundry room, the TV, the 9 to 5 job, the errand running and house cleaning.) THE WORLD IS BIGGER! I think of those young girls often, and those that can see the world as BIG- not just the guy next to them in science class or the party Friday night; but as mountains and valleys, planes and road trips, rivers and oceans, trails and puddles, new food and new places and new friends, challenges, goals, practice, failure, second (third, fourth, fifth) tries, a spiritual journey, laughter, future, HOPE- those are the girls that have a fighting chance.



Especially now that I have two lil’ Chicks of my own- I want to show them this BIG world. And know that when they face those moments of fear, insecurity, and inevitable adolescent (and adulthood) difficulties they will know the world is bigger, the future is bigger, and they are not alone.




That is what Real Chicks epitomizes to me. Women having fun, being healthy, creating adventures and passing it on! In whatever way they love! (For me, it is running, lifting weights, hiking, cooking, eating, exploring, and enjoying true friendships-the list goes on and on!!) Embracing that exciting big world out there we are so blessed to live in!!! My youngest even got to hike with us a few times before she was born- nothing like hiking while almost eight months pregnant to make a gal feel like a Real Chick! I hope that all women- grandmas, CEO’s, seasoned tri-athletes, to waddling preggos and adolescent girls get to embrace their Real Chick- to have that moment when they decide to take a chance and expand their world, too.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post! You inspire, Hollie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Hollie-just perfect. I now know another talent you possess!
    Love, RC Sue

    ReplyDelete